An independent evaluation of The Art Room was carried out in 2005 by Dr Tony Eaude, who was associated with the Department of Educational Studies, University of Oxford, supported by Sue Matthew. Both had previously been headteachers of local primary schools. The evaluation was based mainly on observation and semi-structured discussions with staff and children to best capture how The Art Room operates.
How successful is The Art Room?
The evaluation looked at how successful The Art Room has been in relation to different areas such as:
- confidence and self-esteem and;
- school attendance and prevention of exclusion.
These questions and answers summarise the main points:
- What is the effect on confidence and self-esteem?
- Does The Art Room help young people manage difficult situations better?
- What was the effect on attendance and exclusions?
- Does The Art Room help to raise standards of attainment?
- Did The Art Room resolve the young people’s difficulties?
Download the report
You can download a copy of the full report, Making Space for Re-engagement, from www.edperspectives.org.uk/objects/edp/arfinalreport.pdf